Many people are confused when it comes time to pick the right lawyer. A bad lawyer makes for a bad outcome in court. I have written 10 tips in this article to assist you in your search for a great attorney.
- Ask for a fee schedule from any lawyer you’re considering. Fees are going to differ quite a bit depending on a lawyer’s experience and demand. This means that you must know what the fees will be prior to paying an attorney. If you cannot pay, you may find you will not have representation throughout the entire legal process.
- Clearly define the issues you face prior to interviewing lawyers. Do you really require a lawyer? For example, divorce cases, criminal cases, and financial cases usually require an attorney. Even if you do not require legal representation in court, you still might need a lawyer for a professional opinion on your financial or business matters.
- If your case involves a real-estate matter, then you will need a real-estate lawyer to get your legal matters handled quickly and positively.
- Before beginning your research, seek the advice of the people you know. They may have hired someone who did a great job for them. You might get a good recommendation from someone you trust.
- When you interact with a lawyer, be sure to make note of it. Write down everything from the time and date to whether cash was exchanged. This ensures that you will avoid huge unexpected bills down the road.
- Be careful about handing over retainer cash. If a lawyer asks for a lot of money, make sure you will get a refund if the attorney doesn’t use all the money. In addition, do your research. Lots of lawyers will accept small retainers, and if there is a difference, you will be appropriately charged for it.
- What is your budget? You might have a situation and case where you feel you are right, but at what cost? Research the fees and charges of any lawyers you consider. Discuss your budget and what you need to accomplish within that budget. Take note of any cost overruns that may occur and insist the lawyer will not go over a certain amount without your permission.
- When selecting a lawyer, make certain to research their reputation as much as possible. Looking at online reviews and the state bar association can help you to see if you should choose a certain lawyer or not. Doing this research can help save you lots of time, money and aggravation down the road.
- You will save some time and money if you prepare your paperwork and do some research before you first meet a prospective lawyer. By doing most of the basic leg work, you will save your lawyer a bit of time, which equals money to you. Efficiency can help you to trim your legal expenses greatly.
- It can take quite a while to find the right lawyer. Using this advice will help make your search quick and easy and will also improve your odds of finding a lawyer who will be devoted to your case. Choosing a lawyer is a serious matter and you cannot take chances.
Presented by Dan McIntyre, Pittsburgh PA Attorney